Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  <info@g...>
<info@g...>
Date:  Sun Sep 2, 2001  4:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] High breath

Dear Mike,

thank you for reading the article on Mouth Posture in Singing. The elements
contained in the article come from my own experience as a professional soloist
and voice teacher. Perhaps you have not had the same experience.

Excessive and high breath pressure is ONE cause of the larynx being pushed
upwards. Or more accurately, it is the complete tracheal-bronchial tree along
with the joined larynx and the overhanging hyoid bone that are pushed upwards
when breath is taken to high. It is just a simple physiological fact. True the
larynx rises when we swallow, however you must be familiar that it also can
rise during incorrect vocalization yet the singer does not swallow at the same
time as he/she sings. High larynx posture is therefore not only related to
swallowing.

The Narrow Mouth Posture is an evidence in low and medium register and can be
easily verified. True there are numerous singers who sing with a constant large
mouth, yet their sound is immediately better in terms of quality and richness
as soon as the mouth is narrower in the low and medium register. As far as
Passaggio is concerned, a largely open mouth is simply the death of the singer.

Again, this article comes from my own experience. I know there are a lot of
different views on almost anything out there.
Cordially,

Gilles Denizot
baritone - voice teacher
European Assistant of