Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Sep 2, 2001  3:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] News on gillesdenizot.com

gilles,

i read your article on mouth posture at your web site and, i have to
disagree with you on whether or not a high breath causes the larynx to rise.
if i understand you correctly, you stated that it is the excessive and high
breath pressure that pushes the larynx up (like an umbrella in a strong
wind). i used to think this myself until it was pointed out to me that it
is the muscles in the vocal tract involved in swallowing that raise the
larynx and that raising the larynx is part of the action of swallowing.

in experimenting with trying to push my larynx up using high and
excessive breath pressure, i have found that, if the muscles in my throat are
relaxed, my larynx actually drops slightly. however, if i slightly tense
those muscles, the larynx rises up. the more i tense those muscles in my
throat, the higher my larynx rises.

it is possible to open the mouth a lot without getting these muscles
involved as well so, i can't blame opening the mouth too much for raising the
larynx either.

if i take a sudden high breath, does my mouth open a lot and does my
throat get tense? usually, i suppose. i can't say it is something i do
very often.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
13898 great graduate programs in the North?=?iso-8859-1?q?Morgan=20Godfr   Mon  9/3/2001

emusic.com