Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 31, 2001  4:39 pm
Subject:  Super head question for Dr. Hanson (or anyone else who knows!)

Hi List
I have a question regarding a registration phenomenon that I've observed in
myself and one of my students.
I am a large-voiced mezzo, she is a large-voiced coloratura.
When I play around at the very top of my range, there is often a huge break
after high C and my voice will instantaneously "skip" or jump up to the F# in
alt, in the superhead. Can you describe the physiological process here? I
understand that it is a registration coordination issue between the head and
the super head; I am most interested in the specific pedagogical description
of what exactly is ocurring when that skip happens.
Thanks so much!
TinaO

emusic.com