Vocalist.org archive

From:  Canteclada <canteclada@y...>
Canteclada <canteclada@y...>
Date:  Thu Aug 30, 2001  10:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Cover Letters for Singers

Bill, the most successful cover letters I've ever
written, that is, the ones where I actually got a gig,
were the ones in which I cited another musician who
the person to whom I was writing knew, and who also
knew my work. Since you're a tenor, as far as church
jobs are concerned, you should have an easier time of
it that an unknown soprano.

Since I do not know the style, content or format of
your prior cover letters which you consider
unsuccessful, the English teacher part of me wants you
to run them by someone with writing savvy. Maybe your
"editor" will have some idea why they didn't work for
you and suggest something which will. Even the best
writers need editors.

Another thought: maybe you should not do a "blanket"
letter for church jobs. Perhaps you are too general
and not specific enough for the variety of sacred
repertoire and liturgy which the various churches,
organists and choirmasters take pride in. Maybe they
sensed that they were being blanketed. Think about
tailoring your letters to their diverse interests and
ideas of what their tenor soloists, section leaders or
pro choristers ought to be.

I hope Judy Miller answers your query. This is an
area of special expertise for her.

Doris Long Thurber
one of the New Jersey sopranos

--- Bill Alley <balley@h...> wrote:
--- Bill Alley <balley@h...> wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions about writing "knock
> out" cover letters for
> singing jobs. I will be freelancing as a singer and
> need to "sell"
> myself. For church work I want to write a blanket
> cover letter. I have
> tried this several years ago and was not very
> successful. I would
> appreciate any suggestions and recommendations from
> personal
> experience. Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Bill Alley
> Tenor
> Boston, MA

13874 Re: Cover Letters for Singers Nande   Fri  8/31/2001   2 KB

emusic.com