Vocalist.org archive

From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Sun Aug 19, 2001  4:46 pm
Subject:  Excerpts from the Vocalist Netiquette

Dear Vocalisters:

Your backup moderator here....

I thought the list members might appreciate the excerpts below from
the original Vocalist Netiquette written by the original list's owner,
Marko Hotti. The entire Netiquette was reposted here by our
moderator, Isabelle Bracamonte, last June, and can easily be accessed
at this list's archives
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vocalist-temporary/)

Also, though Marko didn't address this specifically, I think if we all
abide by the following practice we will avoid misunderstandings like
the one yesterday:

Avoid one-line messages. They can be typed and sent in a second or
two and forgotten by the sender a moment later. But I guarantee that
the hurt feelings they can cause will last much longer.

------

* Messages to VOCALIST should be brief and to the point. Please do not
wander off-topic - change the subject heading instead.

* Do not quote entire postings! It's a good idea to summarize the
original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the
original to give a context.

* Always change the subject header whenever the topic of the thread
has changed. This is to help readers choose only the messages they are
interested in. In other words, keep the subject header as informative
as possible.

* Commercial advertising, chain letters or virus alerts are strictly
forbidden in VOCALIST. Forgeries, spoofing or spamming are not
approved behavior.

* When replying to a message, consider the following: 1. Personal
replies should ALWAYS be sent to the originator of the message using
*private* e-mail. VOCALIST uses a set reply-to: header pointing to the
list address and you may accidentaly send a personal response to a
great many people.

2. If you should find yourself in A DISAGREEMENT with one person,
make your responses to each other via private email. If you are
debating a point on which the group might have some interest, you may
summarize for them later.

3. Finally: Treat other people with RESPECT. Don't start arguing or
flaming someone publicly. You will just make a fool out of yourself.
Do not send mail or post messages solely to point out other people's
errors in spelling or the way they think about things.

4. If you are caught in an argument or a 'hot topic', keep the
discussion focused on issues rather than the personalities involved.

emusic.com