Vocalist.org archive

From:  promero@w...
promero@w...
Date:  Sat Aug 18, 2001  4:17 am
Subject:  Barber of Seville-- Netherlands Opera Version

I just saw this version at a friend's house... it features David
Malis as Figaro, Richard Croft as Almaviva, Jennifer Larmore as
Rosina and Renato Carecchi as Bartolo. I liked the staging concept in
general (There were a lot of good ideas) but my impression was that
the overall tempo of the opera suffered due to the very physical
staging the singers were subject to (Some coreography involving
singers could have been cut)--- Mi par d'essere con la testa was
slowed down to a crawl so there was time to pull Carecchi through the
entire series of stunts they had planned for him. On the singing
itself, the cast was one of the best I've seen in this opera...
Although I have to say that the best DOn Basilio I have seen , I saw
in a recording of 1988 from a german opera house with the infamous
Cecilia Bartoli as Rosina---His name slips my mind right now, but he
was excellent.

Any feedback on this? Similar/Dissimilar impressions? What is your
favorite version of this opera?

emusic.com