Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Aug 17, 2001  10:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Is it just a quiet week in Lake Wobegon or what?

Well, I've got two auditions coming up. I've decided to risk typecasting
myself with an audition for yet another production of A FUNNY THING
HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM (if I get in, it will be my third). The
other audition is for HMS PINAFORE, which I did five years ago, and which
I've always wanted to do again. I was busy singing through all the possible
audition pieces I might use, but fear I may end up just using my standard
G&S audition piece (again) - "Alone and yet alive" - although it always
seems to cause accompanists a huge heartache if they don't understand the
concept of LISTENING TO THE SINGER.

Two concerts in the fall - one is a "Mad scenes" concert in time for
Halloween - I'll be singing the "Give him this orchid" scene from Britten's
THE RAPE OF LUCRETIA and "Cheerily carols the lark" from RUDDIGORE (my
other mad scene, from Handel's ORLANDO, was dropped from the program - damn
it!). The other concert is a joint recital with a wonderful soprano and
possibly also a very talented young tenor. Typical "arias and duets" fare.

Also, I finally bit the bullet and got myself a church job - actually it
found me. It's even better than Christian Scientists - I'm the
congregational hymn leader for a Baptist church. Basically, 5-6 hymns a
week, plus a solo whenever I feel like it. And NO Mary Baker Eddy! It even
pays better than the CS, and isn't even remotely as theologically
incompatible with my own beliefs.