Vocalist.org archive

From:  "S Owens" <shirleyowens@h...>
"S Owens" <shirleyowens@h...>
Date:  Wed Aug 15, 2001  6:11 pm
Subject:  teachers expectations

Hello all,

I have had only one teacher and recently have left her and gone to a
different teacher. The expectations from this teacher is extremely
different from the first teacher.

As an example my first teacher would work with me on a new song all the way
through and any especially troubling spots would work with me pronunciation,
rhythm, etc. etc. My second teacher is considered a Maestra, and in fact
she is every part of that title. However, her expectations is such that she
wants you to have the notes down and the language taken care of and a sense
of the beat before bringing it to her. However, it does not have to be
perfect but these things should be down.

So, my problem is adjusting to not having the crutch of the first teacher I
had who typically walked you through everything and you work on it from that
point from the next lesson. My struggle is making the adjustment from
between the two.

I would love to know what you all think about the tremendous different
approaches and does this sound reasonable. I know I will make the
adjustment its forcing me to improve on my own, musicianship etc. etc.
Please know that I am new to the world of opera in terms of vocal music (1
1/2 years of study). Looking for your opinions.

thanks :-)

S O

13715 Re: teachers expectations DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTM   Wed  8/15/2001   2 KB
13717 Re: teachers expectations Greypins@a...   Wed  8/15/2001   2 KB
13718 Re: teachers expectations S Owens   Wed  8/15/2001   2 KB
13720 Re: teachers expectations S Owens   Wed  8/15/2001   2 KB
13722 Re: teachers expectations mrclmind@a...   Wed  8/15/2001   2 KB
13723 Re: teachers expectations mrclmind@a...   Wed  8/15/2001   2 KB
13733 Re: teachers expectations Fiona Chow   Thu  8/16/2001   5 KB
13725 Re: teachers expectations Greypins@a...   Wed  8/15/2001   2 KB
13726 Re: teachers expectations S Owens   Wed  8/15/2001   2 KB

emusic.com