Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Wed Aug 15, 2001  12:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "Lost Voices" on BBC radio 4

I wrote:

> For the benefit of any UK vocalisters who may not have seen it
> advertised, Tuesday 1.30pm on BBC radio 4 there is a half-hour programme
> entitled "Lost Voices"

As promised, if a bit late:

It was a very moving programme. Some once very high-profile singers (all
British) were heard speaking, with recordings of their singing voices
made when they were at their peak (but, unfortunately but
understandably, no recordings of the singing voice in decline) There
were also interviews with teachers, doctors, managers, therapists - but,
of course, in 30 minutes, it was only able to just scrape the surface of
the situation.

All of the situations were different. Some were due to overwork, too
soon or in spite of careful timing; some were due to medical reasons, or
hormonal reasons, or psychological reasons. Each singer had a story to
tell.

A couple of singers who told their stories, notably Rosa Mannion, felt
that they had now recovered from their "crash" and were ready to resume
their careers.

Norma Burrowes was the most heart-rending. There was real despair in the
account, as she voiced the frustration of having ended her career when
there should have been so many more years. She felt there was a great
sense of shame attached to losing your voice, since the voice is what
the singer _is_.

But some have turned to teaching. The tenor, John Wakefield, still has a
speaking voice that is painful to listen to: every syllable had a hole
in the middle. Yet he seems to have carved out a highly successful
teaching career (Sara Clout/Cluderay, are you still getting Vocalist?
Didn't he teach you?) thus showing us that you don't have to be able to
demonstrate to be able to teach well.

The programme finished with the message that if you have lost your
singing voice, you need not feel alone, and gave a help-line number. The
background music was the opening section of VWs Serenade to Music with,
I believe, Norma Burrowes sounding absolutely ethereal.

I don't know if the BBC has a transcript of the programme available, but
it might be worth a try, although of course you wouldn't hear the music.

cheers

Linda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13712 Re: "Lost Voices" on BBC radio 4 Roger Meli   Wed  8/15/2001   5 KB

emusic.com