Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Tue Aug 14, 2001  4:38 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] med: what to do?

If you have totally lost your voice, do not try to talk or sing. Just
rest a couple days. It usually takes about 2-3 days for the
inflammation of the vocal folds to settle down and some sound to return.
Start by gently humming 5-10 minutes at a time. As your voice returns,
gently vocalizing in your midrange will begin to restore the control
over the muscles. Gradually expand your range over a couple days. If
you have a well trained and mature voice you can get it back in 3-5
days. If you are inexperienced, take it more slowly, maybe 7-9 days, as
you may accidentally overdo it.

Severe, violent coughing can injure the vocal folds, but mild coughing
is generally tolerated without problem. Lozenges can help. Some people
like menthol, some don't. It's really up to you.

Dextromethorphan can suppress coughs, but some people do not metabolize
it well and get lightheaded and dizzy. It is the DM part of most over
the counter cough suppressants.

Sorry, no miracle cures yet.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

>> On Thursday I came down with a bad cold, by Sunday I'd
> totally lost my
> voice. I haven't done any singing during that time.
> Anyway I went to the doctor yesterday because my throat is
> killing me and I
> have no voice at all. She said I have laryngitis.
> My question is, I'd heard that coughing can irritate the
> vocal folds, and I
> am coughing a lot. Nothing is helping much.
> Is there a way to stop this so my voice can recover? and also
> how long is
> this going to take to clear? I hate not been able to sing!

emusic.com