Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@y...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@y...>
Date:  Tue Aug 14, 2001  2:21 pm
Subject:  Re: Cycle or sequence?

The definition of "Song Cycle" that I use is: "A group of songs
intended to be performed together." This is pretty close to the Grove
Dictionary definition, actually.

This becomes tricky, though. Is An die ferne Geliebte a cycle? Some
people say no, because the songs are inter-connected, so it is more
like one long song. Is Schumann's Myrthen a cycle? I say no, because
it is never performed as a unit (although there is some tonal unity-
it begins and ends in the same key.) I have even seen Wolf's Moricke
Lieder referred to as a cycle, although I have never heard of it
being performed complete.

Boy, that just clears things right up, doesn't it? :-)

emusic.com