Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Aug 6, 2001  3:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Female Composers/Librettists

Mrs. Waters' aria from Ethel Smyth's THE BOATSWAIN'S MATE is quite lovely,
and in a tradition similar to that of Floyd's SUSANNAH, she used a
folk-song tune as the basis for the aria - in this case, the old English
folk-song "Lord Rendal". There's also a charming comic aria from Smyth's
operetta ENTENTE CORDIALE, but it may be more appropriate for lyric mezzo
- I think it's more in that tessitura. (The original libretto of Smyth's
most famous opera, THE WRECKERS, was in French.)

Nausicaa's aria from Peggy Glanville-Hicks' opera NAUSICAA (which was
recorded originally by a very young Teresa Stratas).

Mary's aria "Alone, alone, I stand alone" from Thea Musgrave's MARY, QUEEN
OF SCOTS; Musgrave also composed a 22-minute "Monologues of Mary, Queen of
Scots" as a dramatic suite for soprano (and orchestra) from the opera.
There may also be arias in some of her other operas, for example, for
Manuela in SIMON BOLIVAR, or the Countess in THE VOICE OF ARIADNE.

Amy Beach also wrote a concert aria, "Eilende Wolken", op 18, that might
be worth doing. There is another Concert Aria for high soprano by British
composer Elisabeth Lutyens that has been called "stunning".

Clair's Act I aria from Libby Larsen's CLAIR DE LUNE. Larsen has written
several operas, and much favours female, and particularly lyric soprano,
voices. You may also find something in her BARNUM'S BIRD (about Jenny
Lind), ERIC HERMANNSON'S SOUL (from a story by Willa Cather),
FRANKENSTEIN, THE MODERN PROMETHEUS, or MRS. DALLOWAY.

"Flower Aria" from Judith Sainte-Croix's THE VINE OF THE SOUL

If you're willing to stretch to include an American opera with an Italian
libretto, you could look at "Sola, abbadonata" from Mary Carr Moore's
DAVID RIZZIO (another opera about Mary, Queen of Scots).

Some other composers/operas you should look into:

Elizabeth Maconchy: THE SOFA, THE DEPARTURE, and her dramatic cantata
HELOISE AND ABELARD

Phyllis Tate: THE LODGER, DARK PILGRIMAGE

Nicola LeFanu (Maconchy's daughter): DAWNPATH, THE STORY OF MARY O'NEIL,
BLOOD WEDDING, THE WILDMAN

Vivan Fine: THE MEMOIRS OF ULTIMA ROONEY

I can't vouch for many of these, as they haven't been recorded, so I only
know of them from reviews, etc., not from hearing them myself.

Karen
NEIL SHICOFF pages
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Own Website
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

+ Singers are often so fired up after a +
+ a performance, they want sex instantly. +
+ - Jilly Cooper, SCORE! +