Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Aug 5, 2001  5:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rock aesthetics and singer's formant (to Mike) was: Seth Riggs...

In a message dated 8/5/2001 5:31:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
w.ritzerfeld@c... writes:
w.ritzerfeld@c... writes:

<< 2. The 1 to 6 ratio between the tube diameters stems from Sundberg.
This seems to be the key factor in SF.

3. Low larynx and power. I'm not sure whether it is possible to
produce a significant SF with a high larynx. I will look into
this but it seems unlikely to me, as I can't imagine a C&W
singer using 'twang' cut through an orchestra without
amplification.>>

wim,

where there is so much singing that exhibits a low larynx without
significant presence of the singer's formant, it does make sense to me that
it would be created somewhere else. at its source, i am sure that there is
a maximum level it can be produced. it seems sensible to me (and i can only
speak through personal and teaching experience) that larynx height has a more
immediate affect on timbre than power (and, i think the skill level of most
students has as much to do with this as anything else). of course, if the
larynx is lowered without interfering with the SF signal, then the ratio is
increased and power maximized (does that make sense?).

regarding how much SF can be produced with a high larynx, it has been my
experience that it can be quite significant. i just did an experiment here
it home on it and the same notes sung with a high larynx produced no
noticeable change in the region of the SF (according to gram50, as i read it)
from those sung with a low larynx. there are significant changes everywhere
else. the most obvious change is in sound quality, obvious to that dated
instrument, the human ear. (i could post the file if someone could tell me
how.)

high SF production accompanied by a high larynx, by most standards, is
considered an ugly sound. however, there are some cultures where it is
considered beautiful. senegal would be such a place with baaba maal the
most well known example (although youssou n'dour is gaining in popularity, he
does not exhibit this type of singing to the degree that other sengalize
singers do). (incidently, baaba maal is one of my very favorite singers.)

i would guess a country singer singing with a high larynx would be
attempting soften the sound by reducing the SF at the source and therefore,
would not be attempting to produce as much as possible.

my question remains then, does maximizing resonance, by lowering the
larynx, both increase the SF and diffuse it? is that possible?

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13605 Re: Rock aesthetics and singer's formant (to Mike Wim Ritzerfeld   Sun  8/5/2001   3 KB

emusic.com