Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Aug 5, 2001  4:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rock aesthetics and singer's formant (to Mike) was: Seth Riggs...

Speaking of classical training working for popular-style
singing, I caught a little of the "Three Mo Tenors" on the
Today Show this morning (and they have a full-length
performance running on PBS this month that I haven't yet
seen). They showed a video excerpt of the three of them
singing "La donna e mobile", and a live performance of them
performance a soulful, close-harmony pop number. Each of
them had first-rate, completely idiomatic singing. I liked
all of their voices and singing, and was especially
impressed with the opera voice of the oldest of the three.
His voice was closest of the three to the type of voice one
wants to hear sing Verdi (the other two have lighter, more
lyric voices). Though it's not possible to judge from TV
and artificial amplification how the voice would work in the
opera house, his voice and singing seemed far superior to at
least one youngish tenor with an international career I
heard last year at the opera house.

It made me want to see them perform in person, and also made
me think a lot about racial discrimination in the opera
house, especially in the tenor roles which are typically
romantic leads!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...