Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sun Aug 5, 2001  2:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Aria competition

Hi, list -- I'm popping my head in to make sure
everything is running okay...

> Lisa's aria from Pique Dame- Tschaikovsky
> The Trees on the Mountain from Susannah-Floyd
> Il est doux, il est bon from Herodiade- Massenet
> Czardas- Die Fledermaus- J Strauss
> Jewel song- Faust- Gounod
> Vissi d'arte- Tosca- Puccini

These are all full lyric roles (the poster who said
that Faust is for a coloratura was wrong, no offense
-- the role is for a honking big lyric/spinto, and
lighter voices should realize that they just sound
silly excerpting the aria -- same goes for medium
lyrics singing "Ebben,"), which is fine if that's what
you are and this all works in your voice and your
teacher approves of it, etc etc. At the Met they'd be
ideally cast with spintos, but big lyrics take all of
these roles (except perhaps the Massenet) in
performance all over the place, especially in Europe.
So I don't really see much cross-faching.

I don't agree with keeping singers in art song until
they're 30... you learn to sing opera by singing
opera. I know that's an unpopular attitude in certain
academic circles. Many young voices are lighter
lyrics, but if yours truly isn't then sing what feels
good and healthy and at the discretion of a teacher
you trust.

Just wanted to offer a contrasting viewpoint --
nothing helpful to add about orchestration. Find out
if the judges of the competition are into the "college
singers should only sing Schubert and the -ina fach"
mentality, though, because if they are, they won't
hesitate to bash you down for oversinging. What have
previous winners sung?

Someone wrote this on another forum: "I don't know if
the original poster can sing 'Come to Jesus' in whole
tones, but if he's as good as he says he is, my rep
suggestions aren't out of line." Without having heard
Molly, I don't think we're in a place to condemn her
for singing out of the prescribed "safe university"
fach just based on her age. Now, if she writes in and
says, "I'm a light soprano and I want to sing 'Vissi
d'arte' even though my teacher says I should be
singing 'Batti batti' instead," let her have it.

Isabelle B.