Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
"Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
Date:  Sat Aug 4, 2001  7:25 pm
Subject:  Steve Perry (to Denis) was: Seth Riggs etc.

Denis,

I clicked on the link to your home page and listened to your
demo songs. What I hear is indeed a tenor voice with some good
potential, but I think you could probably sound a lot better if
you could manage to sing with a stable, relatively low placed
larynx combined with a more forward placed resonance. This sounds
easy, but it isn't.

The low larynx would be the first goal I would pursue. Start on
a comfortable pitch, take a vowel that is comfortable for you
and sing jumps into your upper range while checking in the mirror (or
with a finger on your Adam's apple) if you can manage to keep your
larynx low. Don't force anything for this exercise, so don't try to
sound great, but just focus on keeping the larynx in a comfortably
low position. Once you can manage the jumps, you could try scales
instead. Keep a fairly moderate sound level. It's all right to
sound a bit wimpy or yawny at first.

The next step would be to bring the resonance forward, while
maintaining the low larynx position. The forward placement has to
do with a more up and forward placement of the tongue. The kind of
vowels to use would be front vowels like ии or ee (like in 'stay').
Combined with the low larynx position this is quite hard, because
if you keep the larynx low, the tongue may want to retreat
backwards into your throat so to speak.

This is very hard to teach at a distance. The way I would do it if I
would be your teacher, would be to use spectrography but of course
there are also more traditional ways to achieve this result. I
hesitate to prescribe more specific exercises here since the risk of
confusion is quite high. I'm sure a competent 'classical' voice
teacher could help you with this. You may have some reservations
w.r.t. classical voice teachers, but I'm sure you could benefit from
some exposure to classical singing technique, even if your
professional goal lies elsewhere. Why would it not be possible to
sing with a classical tenor's technique but in the style of a rock
singer ? At least you would be a better match for Pavarotti in his
duets with rock singers than some of the ones I've heard :o).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Wim

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size