Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Molly McLinden" <verdirules@h...>
"Molly McLinden" <verdirules@h...>
Date:  Sat Aug 4, 2001  7:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Renee Fleming

I am wondering if Fleming is overusing her voice and it is starting to take
its toll, slowly.

I saw her sing "The Creation" 3 years ago and it was vocal perfection...the
music suited her voice like nothing else I had heard her sing. Not only did
she sing it well, but her performance of it was classy and poised.
I saw her sing a recital at the University of Illinois this past spring, but
she didn't sing with the ease I recall (though she still sounded
marvelous..especially on her Rachmaninoff set). A teacher I know also
commented (and I agree) that he wanted more in terms of her interpretation.

My friend just saw her at Spoleto, and told me she sounded "all over the
place" in her Rusalka aria. Interesting to note, considering this is
primaeily a middle-voice aria...and other listers were commenting on the
middle voice earlier....

Molly