Vocalist.org archive

From:  <zdivina@g...>
<zdivina@g...>
Date:  Sat Aug 4, 2001  6:15 pm
Subject:  Need advice on unpaid gigs...(reply to the original poster)

In the heated discussion on definition of the professional vs.
non-professional singers we lost the original topic.

To take or not to take unpaid chorus jobs?

I think many of us here have the same dilemma. I certainly do, too! The
chorus jobs (paid or unpaid) devour humongous amount of time and effort. Add
to that vocal abuse and the waste of energy that could be channeled into
your solo work and after a very short time all you can do is to sing in a
choir. Definitely not worth it! So, my rule of thumb is: No. But! Every
situation is different, and requires flexibility and thoughtfulness.
Sometimes breaking the rules is the best approach.

If there is any benefit for me in participating in unpaid chorus, I'll do
it. But, it would have to be quite an incentive. It's either the work
itself - I've broken the rule for Aida, for example; or a person(s) involved
in the production. I never do it to kill the time or because I have no solo
opportunities in sight! I'd rather prepare my own recital; or learn a new
role; or go to more auditions; or perfect my languages; or practice my
piano.

As with all the other things that influence one's singing development, one
has to weigh the pros and cons. If you benefit from it in any way do it -
otherwise forget it.

mariella

emusic.com