Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
"Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
Date:  Sat Aug 4, 2001  9:58 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Seth Riggs' Recent SF Master Class (Wim's question)

Mike,

Yes, this is the idea. Improving vocal fold adduction ('support')
in the lower head voice (known as middle voice) and using the
'opposite' resonance to disguise the difference in timbre generated
by the vocal folds.

For men things are different. Although the vocal folds thin out as
one ascends the scale, the vibration mode stays essentially the
same. The only thin that changes is the resonance. Men must find
a different resonance in their upper range in order to sustain
these high pitches without raising the larynx.

Wim

w.ritzerfeld@c... writes:

> << Strictly speaking there is no such thing as a mix between chest
> (the heavy vibration mode) and head/falsetto (the light vibration
> mode) of the vocal cords. >>
>
> wim,
>
> so, are you saying that our idea of 'mix' is just disguising
the switch
> from one to the other? i assume that one aspect of the disguise
would be
> keeping the folds adducted while making the transition. do we
then, also,
> adjust the resonance in one to match the other to assist the
disguise?

> mike

emusic.com