Vocalist.org archive

From:  <info@g...>
<info@g...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  10:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Horne and the Swedish-Italian School

Dear TinaO,

I must contradict you on this point:

Marilyn Horne, was indeed trained with the concepts of the Swedish-Italian
technique, and mentions the narrow mouth training (crucial for the mezzo
soprano in order to train her lower break) in the book "Great singers on great
singing" by Jerome Hines: "We (Marilyn Horne and her voice teacher William
Vennard) did exercises in the middle voice to get the most beautiful tone
without opening the mouth". Marilyn Horne also gave the solution for that to
happen: "very narrow upper passaggio production", "use of tremendous support",
and "fairly closed mouth at all times".

This can be found on page 138. Horne mentions that the work she did with
Vennard and her husband Henry Lewis were the most important of her career (page
141). There is also an example of an exercise that resembles the one on David
Jones' website...

Also... further... Marilyn Horne speaks about her experience in Germany as a
lyric soprano. She says: "Many sopranos are afraid of the chest voice because
teachers don't know how to teach it. The chest voice should be taught, and
sopranos should have it". (p. 141)

Great Singers on Great Singing, 14$95 at Patelson, NYC...

Sincerely,

Gilles Denizot
baritone - voice teacher
European Assistant of