Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
"Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  8:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]learning an entire role?

Here's another thought...:

How useful do most of you find learning an entire operatic role, before
being hired to do it? For sure it would be helpful in the interpretation of
the arias if every singer in operatic competitions knew the entire role of
every aria, but we know in most cases, that is not true!

However - other reasons I've heard for learning an entire role is that it
looks good on one's resume. Do people agree with this thought? It is also
good discipline - that is for sure and that would be why I would do it!!!
That and, if it is a role you love, you get to immerse yourself in the
character.

Thoughts on this topic? Why learn a whole role when you haven't been cast?
Is it a waste if you never perform it? What are good first roles to learn,
for singers who haven't had a lot of lead roles, or even better - what is a
good first role to learn for the major voice types?

Fiona

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13512 Re: learning an entire role? ODivaTina@a...   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB
13546 Re: learning an entire role? zdivina@g...   Sat  8/4/2001   4 KB