Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
"Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  8:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need advice on unpaid gigs...

Ian, Marinella (I hope I spelled that right!) and the rest of Vocalist,

This has certainly been an interesting thread for me to read. It has
generated interesting opinions and responses. From my point of view, I find
that I can see everyone's perspective at least a little.

My feeling is that Ian has obviously worked very hard, and is proud of where
he is today. GOOD!! Lots of us want to be there too, and maybe some of us
don't, but for sure, if you CAN eat off of singing, you are to be commended,
b/c you must be doing SOMETHING right. Perhaps poor Ian's British humour
has gotten the better of him - maybe I can relate to it, b/c I was born in
England, but am now living in Canada, (although you would never guess it
from my last name) and my parents certainly retain a British humour! Let's
try and understand the cultural diversity represented on this list that
comes out in our typing - I am Chinese, live in Canada, but was born in
England. What does that make me????!!

To me, there is a fine line between amateur and professional. Some might
say that a professional singer must have done X number of operatic roles
with such a company - some singers sing less opera, so what kind of criteria
is that???? We must also remember - in some countries (maybe Germany?) it's
easier to "eat" off of singing b/c if one has a house contract for a couple
of years, that is fairly well permanent work. However, if you live in a
small town in north america, there just may not be many gigs in your area -
well then, such people would HAVE to do another job. Fine. In some cities
there is a needed market for teachers - not so in other places. Also, if
you live in NYC, you're paying - what $1400 for a place to live? the rent
has to be paid SOMEHOW. Some singers have a family, have many children -
that is also a consideration. If I had three kids and a husband, I would
not be moving off to Germany tomorrow to work in a house, even if that
would be more "professional" than working my day job, teaching and
performing where I am here!!!

The fact is, we all come from different backgrounds, we all live in
different places, we all do different things with our lives. Professional
and amateur are just words - how important is it really? Technically, I
suppose one CAN describe a professional singer as one whose primary income
comes from singing or the teaching of singing (I have actually seen this
definition before,in published places) but that does not mean that a singer
who has another primary source of income, is not equally adept vocally.
These terms take on different meanings in various situations - if Ian thinks
a professional singer must eat off of it, fine. However, "professional" and
"quality" are two separate issues. we would HOPE that a "professional" (one
who eats off of singing) would also automatically be of a certain calibre,
but that does not exclude others from doing just a good a job.

I hope this thread won't become too heated. It was very good of Ian to
apologize; I think we should give him some credit for it. Ian, I think
professionalims takes on different meanings in England than here perhaps.

I've rambled on enough; thanks for an interesting discussion,

Fiona

emusic.com