Vocalist.org archive

From:  april@d...
april@d...
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  7:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need advice on unpaid gigs...

I need to join all the professional, true divas out there who are
putting you in your rightful place, Ian.
They've all said it better than I can, so first I just need to
say "Bravo" to all of you who are letting this Amateur know what the
difference is between a professional and an amateur.
I can tell by Ian's tone that he cares not for the artform, but just
for the green. I'm also guessing here that he probably has only his
own mouth and ego to feed, and therefore, who knows really how much
in those years he's actually been working?
Mariella, it is very difficult to know what and where to take those
unpaid jobs. If it feels like it's going to be more trouble than it's
worth, then don't do them! But if you feel you have a chance to maybe
make connections with people who can help you get more paying jobs,
or if it's a project with which you really want to be involved, go
for it! Follow your heart in these matters.
Professionalism is attitude more than anything else. I've seen
some "Professional" productions which have left me wanting to shower
afterwards! I've seen some "Amateur" productions that have made me
cry from their beauty.
The amount of talented people out there does not equal the amount of
people who are "making their living" in their art.
Keep your heart open, keep your attitude positive, and the rest will
follow hopefully. If not, just remember Ian, and say to yourself, "Do
I really want to be like him?"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13504 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Ian Belsey   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB

emusic.com