Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Deal Diva Laura" <laura@d...>
"Deal Diva Laura" <laura@d...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  5:52 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Need advice on unpaid gigs...

I realize that I'm a newcomer to this list, and that my opinion isn't going
to hold much weight. But I felt very strongly that I had to respond here.

Ian Belsey wrote:

< If you have a full time job, you are not a
< professional singer.

How can you say that? You can very easily have a full time job, AND be paid
to sing as well. I would say that generally speaking, if you're good enough
to be paid for your singing talent, then you are a professional. Especially
if you've trained for years, studied the craft, etc.

You are indeed lucky to make your entire living from singing. Most
professional musicians I know (and I know *a lot*), even if they make all of
their income from music, aren't lucky enough to make it all as a performer.
They usually supplement their performing income with teaching (sometimes in
a school, sometimes privately, sometimes both), and even taking church jobs.
That doesn't make them any less "professional".

I personally find it incredibly insulting to be told that I'm not a
"professional" simply because I have to work full time to make ends meet.
In many ways, we "pseudo" professional singers have it a lot harder than
others who have the means to devote all their time to singing because we
have to squeeze lessons, practice, role preparation, rehearsals &
performances in with our full time work responsibilities, and family
responsibilities in many cases as well.

If I had an "angel" who provided me with all the funds needed for pursuing a
singing career and nothing else I'd be thrilled. But in the absence of such
an "angel", I have to become my own support. I get paid to sing, but let's
face it - musicians don't get paid as much as business professionals
(usually). So, while I get paid for the occasional lead role, or for the
occasional oratorio solo work, as well as for my curch section-leader job, I
guess I can't consider myself "professional" in your eyes? How very, very
sad - not just for me, but for the many of us in the same situation who work
our a**** off day in and day out to be the best singers/performers we can
possibly be.

> of course it's hard work for anybody, amateur of
> professional to learn a role, but that still doesn't
> make you a pro!

I don't believe I've seen anyone say here that just because they've learned
a role makes them a professional. I do remember seeing a post that said
something to the effect of "having the skills to even be able to learn a
role takes skill and talent" (obviously I'm paraphrasing, and possibly even
mis-remembering here, but that's how I remembered it).

I believe that, technically, if you are paid for your services on a regular
basis, then you are, by definition, a "professional".

As far as taking unpaid gigs - I agree with the several other posts I've
seen that say that taking selected unpaid gigs can be very much worth your
while. But be choosy. I doubt that offering to sing at church funerals or
weddings for free is going to net you terribly many contacts that will help
you further your career. However, if you're offered the chance to sing a
solo with a local chorus who happens to be doing their largest concert of
the season but they can't afford to pay yet, go for it! Or, depending on
your level of experience, if you're offered the lead role with a local opera
company, weigh certain considerations first, including: "Is this a role I
already know?", "Is it a role I'd like to get some non-pressure experience
performing before I take it out for larger venues?" "Is this a role I've
been interested in learning anyway?" Then decide if it's worth your time
and effort to do the gig for free. Perhaps this little company has a new
director that you want to impress. Or perhaps he's a guest director from a
larger company and this might be a chance to get your foot in the door and
impress this person by developing a good working relationship which could
lead to paid gigs in the future.

Well, now that I've opened myself up to the "flame wars", I'll close. Just
my $0.02, for whatever it's worth.

Laura Ruiz
DealDivas.com - Harmonizing Culture & Price
http://www.dealdivas.com