Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  4:30 pm
Subject:  re: unpaid gigs

Ian wrote:

>Thanks for respectfully disagreeing!! When I said
>about the amount of work being less, and only doing
>payed work, I was applying that more to the UK. The
>profession this side of the pond, is no where near as
>er. . flexible (don't know if that's the right word,
>but it'll do for the moment!) as in the US. Bookers,
>agents, companies are far more likely not to book you
>if they perceive you're 'playing' at being a pro.

Yes, Ian, I can see how this would be the case. I think it's also true in
the US in some contexts, particularly opera. (I am more a concert and new
music singer and the rules are different, at least at the level of
accomplishment that I am currently at.) Thank you for clarifying!

And I love the Shirley Bassey story! She's a funny lady.

Naomi : )

emusic.com