Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Wed May 3, 2000  4:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Resurrection Symphony

Lisa M Olson wrote:

> On Tue, 02 May 2000 03:59:41 Dean FH Macy wrote:
>
> > There are many arrangements of his Symphony #2.
>
> Do you know who arranged it this way. I'm a Mahler FREAK and I have sung the
2nd three times, and I've never heard of this arrangement.

I believe it was Maurice Abravanel who wrote this arrangement for his new
Mahler concert series at the Hollywood Bowl. The Utah Symphony,
under his direction, performed innovative arrangements of all Mahler
Symphonies. They were fresh; seen from a different perspective and
exqusitely done.

From the history of Utah Symphony (on their website) you read, "Founded in
1940, the Utah Symphony has become a vital presence on the
American music scene through its distinctive performances worldwide and its
well-known recording legacy. The orchestra became recognized as
a leading ensemble largely through the efforts of Maurice Abravanel, its Music
Director from 1947 to 1979. Under his direction, the
orchestra made its first recordings of works by Varese, Milhaud, Gottschalk,
Honegger and Satie, as well as the
first complete cycle of Mahler Symphonies."

If you are seeking fresh performances of major classical works, you need to get
Utah Symphony albums conducted by Maurice Abravanel on the
Vanguard label or Cincinnati Pops albums conducted by Erich Kunzel on the
Telarc label. All others are dim by comparison.

If the words "classical" and "pops" don't seem to go together I recommend you
go to
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003CUY/vocalistint00-20
at Amazon.com and listen to Festive Overture, Opus 96 by Dmitri Shostakovich
for a classical sample of Kunzel's fresh and unique genius.

Or for opera lovers try Madama Butterfly: Humming Chorus, Composed by Giacomo
Puccini, Performed by Cincinnati Pops / May Festival Chorus,
Conducted by Erich Kunzel from the album, "Pops Plays Puccini" at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003CX9/vocalistint00-20

And then for choral masterpieces arranged by Kunzel (you'll fall in love with
these) from the album, "American Jubilee" try numbers 9
(Battle Hymn of the Republic), 13 (God Bless America), and 14 (America the
Beautiful) at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003CUB/vocalistint00-20

I'll stop now.

--