Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  3:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need advice on unpaid gigs...

In a message dated 8/2/01 10:54:59 PM, dalila@R... writes:

<< I think being so
dismissive of those of us who DO get paid for our singing work, but who
also choose to have second jobs so we can AFFORD all the expenses of LIFE
and of ART (instead of having to choose one or the other alone), is both
unrealistic and unkind. >>

Yes! Very well put, Karen! I have paid EVERY SINGLE CENT of my musical
education, and have never expected--or accepted--any financial support of any
kind. I have worked hard at my music, and every bit as hard (sometimes
harder) on my "real world" career (the world of advertising is a demanding
one).

I may not have a full time career in music, although I probably could have if
I had allowed anyone to support me (or, as was suggested to me at one point,
gone on welfare--an idea that I considered preposterous and highly
unethical).

I've had the opportunity, from time to time, to work with internationally
known singers and conductors. They have been in no way disrespectful of the
fact that I am not a "full time" singer. In fact, I know that some of them
are very impressed with how much I've been able to achieve with only a
limited amount of time available for study and practice.

Judy

emusic.com