Vocalist.org archive

From:  <zdivina@g...>
<zdivina@g...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  12:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need advice on unpaid gigs...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Belsey" <Idbelsey@y...>

> If you work for Andersons and do a bit of singing on
> the side, then you're not a pro, so you've no reason
> to expect any money for your 'art'.

This is pure nonsense! I might be working at a day job not because I'm not a
professional singer but because I have to eat and pay the bills! And, I
still expect to be paid when I get a gig! And why not? I have exactly the
same training of many, many years of voice and music lessons like everyone
else in this business. I audition like everyone else. I study with the
same teachers and coaches like everyone else. I sing the same repertoire. My
voice is at the same level as those with whom I compete for the gigs. And,
when I get a singing job, I expect to be paid like everyone else. Whether I
can live from my earnings as a singer or not is my problem, and it is my
choice whether I want to live off my parents waiting for a "big" break or
prefer to support myself having a job not related to singing.

> If you're an amateur, none of the above apply. Not
> because you may not be good, but because you could be
> taking work away from a pro (however bad!)

And why not? There is no such thing as an amateur in opera! If you think
that an amateur can learn and perform any operatic role, than you are either
deluded or you have not done it yourself. Anybody who has done any role in
any opera production - paid or unpaid - knows how many years of voice
training, musicianship, hard work, acting studies, stamina and talent goes
into even the smallest role. If you think that an amateur who 1) does not
have the voice trained 2) is not prepared for the stage and operatic singing
can waltz into any opera production and sing - G** grief!

> ... There is not these days, enough jobs
> to go round (like there were 50 years ago) and they
> should always go to a pro.

Why? IMHO, a job should go to whoever does it better!

mariella

april@d...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13494 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Ian Belsey   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB
13497 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Deal Diva Laura   Fri  8/3/2001   8 KB
13503 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... april@d...   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB
13504 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Ian Belsey   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB

emusic.com