Vocalist.org archive

From:  " Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
" Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  9:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Digest Number 775

>Just a quick one. I would assume that 'second tenor' refers to a
>voice of lower range than 'first tenor'. Does it also have any
>direct connection to a fach? Or is fach based more timbre while
>first/second is more a question of range? How does it all fit?

Someone has probably already answered this one for you, but here it is
anyway,
In choral, or group vocal music, it refers to the lower tenor part- or, if
there is only one part, with divisi at certain spots, the second tenors will
opt for the lower part. Generally, in a choir, the tenors with the easier
top are asked to sing first tenor, and other tenors, or high baritones (if
there is a tenor shortage) sing second tenor.

Mirko

emusic.com