Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  2:02 am
Subject:  Re: songs, intervals, holistic learning and such

John Link wrote:

> I pay attention to the harmonic context of intervals (calling "My
> Bonnie" 5 3 instead of 1 6) because I want to associate with my
> associate repertoire ... as
> much context as possible. My practice probably also implies something
> about my view about the significance of tonality.

Hello again John,

I think both ways and more, as I imagine you as a Feldenkreis teacher probably
do
as well, depending, sort of like the old "micro- and macrocosm" stuff - in the,
um, greater, holistic, interdependent scheme of things.... I do a lot of
visualization. With trumpet as my second instrument, when I'm learning a song,
often feel my fingers instinctually "finger/figuring out" intervals. I also
play
a bit of piano, guitar and such and also visualize intervals and holistically
learn stuff on that basis... "Yes, kids, get those piano/guitar/whatever
"harmonic" instrument lessons, of course, as always, from a *good, competent*
teacher..." The horror stories I could tell about my piano "teachers"...

> NBC is a great way to recall 531! I remember it from TV. Does that
> make me old? I'm 47.

To Laura, who believes NBC still uses this theme, you may be right - I have sort
of been without a tv for a while, which occurs to me is (usually) a good thing,
to turn off the corporate culture... - yikes, here's that off-topic "random
abstract rant mode" again...:o) I'm an "elderly" 48, though I seriously strive
to be ageless... even though the ageist Met Auditions and the omnipresent
"Young
Artist Programs/Competitions" and their like think they have um, put us "old
farts" out to pasture...

Cheers.

Michael

Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Green Ageless Eckcentric Introvert With Loud Voice

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13471 Re: songs, intervals, holistic learning and such Deal Diva Laura   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB
13479 Re: songs, intervals, holistic learning and such Linda Fox   Fri  8/3/2001   2 KB
13480 Re: songs, intervals, holistic learning and such Sheila Graham   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB
13522 Re: songs, intervals, holistic learning and such Linda Fox   Fri  8/3/2001   2 KB
13574 Re: songs, intervals, holistic learning and such Margaret Harrison   Sat  8/4/2001   3 KB

emusic.com