Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Date:  Thu Aug 2, 2001  10:12 pm
Subject:  Die Forelle, was Songs about Animals

Linda Fox wrote:

> Michael Eckford wrote:
> >
> > Die Forelle (The Trout), with all its fun "political implications", the
> > verses that Schubert left out...
>
> I've never heard of these other verses: can you tell me a little more
> about them, please? Or is there a URL?

Hello Linda,

Oops - This was kind of an old half-baked memory from my undergraduate work,
way back in those early goofy, wacky 70's. I hope I haven't been, um,
"caught with my academic pants down", as it were... I just vaguely remember
casual conversations about this - about Schubert getting into a bit of
trouble with authorities who were more than a little paranoid over the subtle
political implications of the verses he did set - and maybe even reading
about it in one of those art song reference books, maybe "The Ring of Words",
or was it the "Penguin Book of Lieder", of which the names of the editors
have definitely escaped me, but I think one of those may contain the more
politically explicit missing verse(s?)... I'm really not up to anything
"fishy" here - sorry, I just love puns, especially ones about animals...:o)

By the way, Linda, I relate well to the name of your, um, "organization" -
"Usual chaos"...:o)

Cheers.

Michael

Michael Eckford, bearitone <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford, bearitone <michaelb@y...>
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
http://www.angelfire.com/me/interdependence/

“Chaos should be regarded as extremely good news.” –Pema Chodron

“Being smart and technologically efficient won’t save us. We have to get
back to who we are with the Earth. We have to rediscover the song of our
souls. We have to listen to the chorus of all living things, and find that
their voice is our voice. We have to learn to sing again the song of the
Earth.” - Desmond Berghofer, “Millennium Diary”, February 13, 2001
http://www.creative-learning.ca/diary/

emusic.com