Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Thu Aug 2, 2001  8:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Seth Riggs' Recent SF Master Class

In a message dated 8/2/2001 12:55:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
shirleyowens@h... writes:
shirleyowens@h... writes:

> So, are you saying that he basically discourages classical operatic singing?
>
> Shirley Diana

HI there,
Because I was not at Seth's workshop, I can not comment on what he did/not
say. However, being one of his associates, I can say that Seth definitely
does not discourage operatic singing. In fact, his students have had more
successes on the opera stage than any other teacher I'm familiar with. (
check out his resume at www.sethriggs.com ) My guess, is that Seth was
eluding to the fact that there is little money to be made in the Opera world
anymore. Case in point would be the recent discussion here on Vocalist about
the lack of paid jobs for professionals. Seth is definitely an old time
"bel-canto-er", but has seen the neccesity for singers to be able to support
themselves also. Therefore, he encourages them to look at theatre and
contemporary music as alternatives or additions to the classical arena, when
looking towards a professional career.

Hope this clears any misconceptions,
Mary Beth Felker
Seth Riggs Associate