Vocalist.org archive

From:  "dredeman" <dredeman@w...>
"dredeman" <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Wed Aug 1, 2001  7:48 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Abendempfindung an Laura-- Mozart

Dear Promero? and co vocalisters,

as far as I know there is no good recording of 'Abendempfindung an
Laura' by a tenor, and certainly not one by Wunderlich.

This is rather strange, since this song is really a song for a tenor. Of
course there are thousands of soprano's that recorded it, and that makes
it less sztrange that there are almost no tenor-recordings. I personally
prefer Barbara Bonney way above Anne-Sophie von Otter for this
recording: Otter's recording just misses the peacefulness the song
requires i.m.h.o.

The tenor John Mark Ainsley recorded the song for Hyperion in 1997 and
he gives the impression he does not really understand what he is
singing. Besides that it is vocally funny, much vibrato which also kills
the peacefull feeling in the song. It sounds like a small voice recorded
very close. It seems as if his voice got better since then though, but
that does not help this recording.

The other (the tenor Joseph Protschka with Helmut Deutsch on a Capricio
record) is more or less the opposite. Protschka understands the text,
but is vocally he is not as good as he was when he recorded Die schöne
Müllerin, maybe this was too late in his career. Still it is ok,
certainly compared to Ainsley. He is now teaching at the conservatory in
Aix-la-Chapelle (Aachen). Especially the last f4 (die ie ie ie) sounds
rough and too loud.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. Maybe I know the song too well to be
happy with any recording at all.

Best greetings,

Dré

emusic.com