Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Wed Aug 1, 2001  3:50 pm
Subject:  re: need advice on unpaid gigs...

Liz wrote:

>I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of places. There's hope. I hope.
>But I've been laid low with a nasty summer cold for the past two days, and I
>need a bit of reassurance. Pweeze?

Oh, Liz. It's the dreaded dry spell. It happens to all of us. I'm sure
I'm not the only one who has oodles of sympathy and empathy and
"been-there-done-that-boy-does-it-stink" to share. Don't despair. The
world is always changing, and it'll come back around to busy Liz with tons
of fulfilling performing jobs!

As for the unpaid chorus gigs -- with companies that you have gotten solo
work with before or have reason to believe you could get solo work in the
future, I personally would choose not to confuse the issue by accepting a
chorus assignment.

UNLESS:

* it's an ensemble that has small solos (a la Sweeney) and you can
negotiate in advance to do some of those.

* you love the music and really want to sing it.

* you love the director, choreographer, or conductor and really want to
work with him/her.

What to do with your free time: develop a recital program and shop it
around to various presenting organizations, get some friends together and
put on an opera with piano, work up a monologue and audition for a play,
work with your coach on a new role, make a new audition tape and send it
around to people you've been wanting to audition for but didn't have the
time because you were doing shows...

And on and on...

And of course the personal care that you always have to do: read books that
inspire you, practice yoga, eat fresh strawberries, meditate, take walks
near water with someone you adore, take an afternoon off and go to the
aquarium, see a minor league ballgame, pet your kitties while sipping tea
and reading poetry...

You'll be fine! : )

Naomi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13420 Re: need advice on unpaid gigs... stjames   Wed  8/1/2001   2 KB

emusic.com