Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Wed Aug 1, 2001  5:41 am
Subject:  Need advice on unpaid gigs...

Well, gang, I've gone on about three dozen auditions since Easter, and all I
have to show for it is an offer of Mother in this year's edition of "Hansel
and Gretel."

I've been told by a couple of places that although they couldn't offer me a
principal role, they'd LOVE to have me in the chorus. Trouble is, I've
pretty much decided that I don't want to take unpaid chorus gigs, especially
if they involve driving an hour each way to rehearsals. I've found that
chorus work often involves a lot more time than a role. I'm a very poor
dancer. And if they want me in the chorus for my good strong alto voice and
my musicianship, then I figure they can pay me for that.

I've had a couple of principal roles, which may have deluded me into
thinking that I've left unpaid chorus behind. But then again, I saw an
*excellent* "Sweeney Todd" on Saturday night which I auditioned for (and was
called back for Mrs. Lovett), and can't help thinking that even an ensemble
bit in that would have been good.

I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of places. There's hope. I hope.
But I've been laid low with a nasty summer cold for the past two days, and I
need a bit of reassurance. Pweeze?

Elizabeth Finkler
Personal assistant to Don Juan el Gato Magnifico y Hermoso de Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"Sing for your supper, and you'll have breakfast. Songbirds always eat.
(If their song is sweet to hear.)" --Lorenz Hart, "The Boys from Syracuse"

13419 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Karen Mercedes   Wed  8/1/2001   3 KB
13421 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... EarlyMusik@a...   Wed  8/1/2001   3 KB
13424 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Margaret Harrison   Wed  8/1/2001   4 KB
13429 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Ian Belsey   Thu  8/2/2001   3 KB
13452 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Karen Mercedes   Thu  8/2/2001   3 KB
13428 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... EarlyMusik@a...   Thu  8/2/2001   2 KB
13460 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Elizabeth Finkler   Fri  8/3/2001   4 KB
13484 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... zdivina@g...   Fri  8/3/2001   4 KB
13494 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Ian Belsey   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB

emusic.com