Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Tue Jul 31, 2001  4:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Help! Samuel Barber - At St Patricks Purgatory

Candace A. Magner:

>This song is indeed marked with a dotted quarter note as 72. The recording
>with Barber and Leontyne Price is about that tempo and I have never heard it
>much slower than that.

When I find the tempo printed on the score or the traditional tempo
to be too fast then I perform it more slowly. I have found a Chopin
Prelude that I've heard played only at a tempo that totally obscures
its beautiful melody and turns the accompaniment into the melody. In
the next month I plan to release at my mp3.com site two MIDI
realizations of the piece arranged for five voices, one at its usual
tempo and another at a tempo that I think works much better. I'll
post a message here when it is available to be heard.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet

emusic.com