Vocalist.org archive

From:  singer220@h...
singer220@h...
Date:  Tue Jul 31, 2001  12:33 am
Subject:  Re: Tenor trouble at Ab and A natural

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Rocío Guitard <vocalist-temporary@y..., Rocío Guitard < > Hi Bob,

> you wrote:
> >Just to make sure I understand what you mean by starting the
exercise
> you suggest from the top down, shall I start it say on the Bb above
> the treble clef to the Bb at the 3rd line, then go down a half step
> to A above the top line to A second space, and so on down the scale?
>
> Either way, the point is that the exercise doesn't start you in the
bottom and takes you up within the scale; it's the opposite movement.
Whether you start the whole thing from the bottom of your range or
the top doesn't matter much, but in your specific case (since you
mentioned almost full chest on the G above treble C) I suggest you
do start at the top of your range.

> you wrote:
> >To answer your question, I do feed decided tightness especially
with
> the i vowel. The i vowel is definitely my hardest. I modify it to
> the French y from Eb (4th space) and above, but I always feel
> tightness with that vowel whether it be a pure i or a modified i.
>
> I'd suggest you try not modifying the vowel at all other than
dropping your jaw as you go higher (without going wide, careful), but
I'd suggest you keep an overall "woofy" or "hooty" or "yawny" sound
with it to start with. Better yet, vocalise on "wee wee" instead of
pure "ee" until your larynx relaxes.

> you wrote:
> Thanks for your comments about head resonance. I have no problem
> with that on the high notes, and can easily sing a B natural or C
> (oor above) with good head resonance. When I descend the scale
from
> that B or C, however, I always have to pass through a difficult
> transition at A natural or Ab. My G natural is good but has very
> little head resonance; it's mostly chest. When I try to lighten up
> the G natural and have less chest, it gets breathy and feels like
> falsetto.
>
> Your mix should start around Eb-E above treble C. This is simple,
whatever scale you're vocalizing on, put a hand on your Adam's apple.
The moment you feel it rising it's time to start allowing the head
resonance to come in, but through the mix. If you wait until G your
larynx is already high and the transition to head voice pretty much
impossible. And don't worry if your mix and head voice don't feel or
sound strong at first; your priority right now is to relax your
larynx, then we'll worry about your sound.

> Where are you located?
>
> Best,
> Rocio

emusic.com