Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Mon Jul 30, 2001  8:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Songs in English for soprano

Dear Judy:

Just a few suggestions:

A fine song set is the "Six Elizabethan Songs" by Dominick Argento.
Extremely well crafted and can be sung by a wide range of soprano
voices. This set is also available for an mixed instrumental chamber
ensemble.

Benjamin Britten's earlier work was often for the female voice prior
to his relationship with Peter Pears who became his primary
interpreter of songs and for whom almost all of his later output was
intended. You might look at

"Fish in Unruffled Lakes, Six Setting of W. H. Auden"
"On this Island" Op. 11
or even "Canticle I: My Beloved is Mine, Op 40"

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus

emusic.com