Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Mon Jul 30, 2001  3:24 pm
Subject:  re: songs in English for soprano

Judy wrote:

>I am thinking about putting together an all-English language program,
>and would welcome suggestions of perhaps lesser known songs, not arias,
>that would be suitable for a big lyric with a really good pianissimo
>(especially on high notes).

Thank you, Judy, for the opportunity to recommend one of my favorite
underperformed song cycles, Five Songs (poetry by Laurence Hope) by Harry
Thacker Burleigh. Most people know Burleigh as an arranger of spirituals,
but he also wrote songs of his own and these five are gems. Two of them
are recorded on a CD by Cynthia Haymon called "Where the music comes from"
-- I own both CD and copies of the music (out of print, hard to find, worth
it) and would be happy to loan either or both, provided you give me
collateral like your mother's wedding ring!! ; )

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com