Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Tue May 2, 2000  10:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Resurrection Symphony

omigurt@a... wrote:

> In a message dated 5/2/00 6:35:51 AM, Dean Macy wrote:
>
> <<Mahlar wrote the symphony for single orchestra and soloists. There are many
> arrangements of his Symphony #2. The one we did with the Mormon Tabernacle
> and Southern California Mormon choirs and the Utah Symphony called for massive
> chorus (520) a symphony with triple percussion and horns (placed on top of the
> mountain behind the audience) and eight soloists who usually sang in duos. If
> you ever get the opportunity to hear it like this, go for it. You'll think
> you've gone to heaven.>>
>
> Gadzooks! Fascinating...I had no idea! Is it recorded? I would love to hear
> it, as this Symphony is one of my favorites. I just heard it the other night
at
> Symphony Hall in Boston. Delicious!

All of us who participated in this Hollywood Bowl spectacular performance
received
performance tapes. Whether it is available to the public I don't know. However
you have to hear it live to get the effect.

You are familiar with the tremendous ending of Symphony #2. Now imagine, if you
can, the horns (six French horns and eight trumpets, etc.) atop a mountain over
the heads of the audience echoing the stage horns and the 12 kettle drum sets,
four on each side of the stage in the wings and four from atop the mountain with
520 voices pounding out the finale and you will have some scant idea of the
power
of this symphony. As the echos of the final note echoed back and forth in the
surrounding hills and then finally, silence, the audience was so overcome in awe
that the absolute quiet lasted about 20 seconds before the audience told us what
they thought of our performance. (As I write this the memories flood my mind
and
my eyes get wet. A similar effect happened to us all as we sang that first
evening.)

It was the performance to die for!! Nothing I ever did after I did this in 1968
ever came close and I doubt no performance ever will.

Dean

--
Dean FH Macy, Lit.D./Mus.D.

"Specializing in Management of exceptionally talented youth in Music"
<http://www.newenglandtalent.org> EPI Records - NetWork Films

"Making children do something they don't want to do is the job of the parents.
If that doesn't work, there are always juvenile detention centers." - Mike R.
-

emusic.com