Vocalist.org archive

From:  <info@g...>
<info@g...>
Date:  Sat Jul 28, 2001  9:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Tenor trouble at Ab and A natural

Dear Bob,

briefly... there is no difference in French between an "i" and an "y". Both are
pronounced the same way. The "i" can however be altered by adding a bit of "u"
(the Italian tiny u vowel) or an "ü" (umlaut u, which prevents tongue body from
crawling back into the pharynx). When you reach your high register, there is
also a possibility to alter the "i" into French "ain" or "in" as in "pain".

The tongue out of the pharynx and the "slightly low and back" condition of the
lower jaw while pronouncing an "i" will also gradually suppress the tight
feeling. I'm afraid there is no difference between the "i" in "ligne" and the
"y" in "cygne"...

Greetings from France !

Gilles Denizot
baritone - voice teacher