Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
"Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Sat Jul 28, 2001  5:34 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Baroque ornamentation for recitals

> Question for all the teachers out there and anyone else who is
> involved with baroque opera: would you ornament arias
> differently for a (degree) recital than you would for an audition or
> a performance of said aria within the context of the opera? I have
> Tornami a vaggheggiar from Handel's Alcina as one of my Italian
> selections and have had the question come up. My teacher is
> away for a few weeks this summer and is not readily available
> for questioning.

Hi Lisa, good question! First thing to keep in mind is that in some
auditions, the jurors might only hear the A section of the aria once. At
least, at some schools where I have auditioned, I have sung let's say the A
section of Piangero (ornamented) and then the B section. Kind of stupid I
know, but people do things for the sake of time.
I know this Alcina aria and love it very much. I heard Natalie Dessay
sing it over the radio in a broadcast of Alcina - she went full out,
complete with a high F at the end, and all!!! If I put this on my degree
recital, I'd also go full out with the ornamentation - this aria also just
lends itself to showy interpolations everywhere, to my mind. Obviously, you
must maintain some of the original, and be within reason, but even the
un-ornamented A section is already quite a sing. If it were... Credete al
mio dolore (also in the same opera, also sung by Morgana,very slow, sad and
beautiful) for example, I think I'd approach it differently, and ornament
sparingly in both the recital and audition venue. All ornaments should be
in character, and should portray an emotion - in Tornami, it might be
extreme joy and excitement, in Piangero, it would be sadness. Good for
you, for choosing this wonderful aria (can you tell I love Baroque
music??!!). Best of luck on your recital - what else is on your programme?

Hope this helps,

Fiona

emusic.com