Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Jul 27, 2001  1:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: SING WITH FEELING!

didi,

i make a distinction between expressing oneself and having feeling. in
conversation, we don't get our feelings all worked up and then try to fill
what we are saying with them, we make our points and, we either get caught up
in our subject or, we don't. often, we demonstrate feelings about our
subject without being aware we are doing so as, we are so focused on making
our points.

i'm sure you have had the experience of being in the same discussion on
several different occasions and have found yourself making the same point.
yet, on these several occasions, the amount of emotional response you felt
may have been very different. we often find several, to many, different
interpretations for a piece of music. the more we sing something, the more
possibilities we can see in it. just as in conversation, when we sing
something we can make a particular point of that piece (and, we do this by
varying the emphasis, etc.)

whether or not we get caught up in the emotions of a piece of music, we
still have to make the point of the piece. after all, it is the audiences
feelings that are important, not ours. it doesn't work by osmosis. we
don't feel something and then hope the audience somehow gets infected. it
is more like giving someone a backrub. we work so they may relax and, if we
do a good job, it doesn't matter how we feel, they'll still enjoy it.
(someone who laughs at their own jokes is usually the only one laughing.)

so, if your shy in public, it doesn't matter if, you clearly convey the
idea of the piece.

mike, (PhD AB G.E.D.)

emusic.com