Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@b...>
"Sandra" <sandra@b...>
Date:  Thu Jul 26, 2001  11:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Customs

Sorry-it means "all but dissertation" I think the term is largely an
American term. In the context I see it, it is used by persons who completed
Ph.D. coursework but who didn't complete their dissertation before their
time limit to do so expired. They are not Ph.D.s, (well, not in my
opinion), and I think the term started out as a resume term used under the
"educational experience" section. But it is growing common to see "John
Smith, Ph.D. ABD" in vitas or other documents/websites as though it were
some type of title. Now to see someone use "Dr. John Smith" in bold letters
and later bury "Ph.D. ABD" in small print at the bottom of a page several
pages later shocks and disturbs me.

S.