Vocalist.org archive

From:  "dredeman" <dredeman@w...>
"dredeman" <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Mon Jul 23, 2001  9:01 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Why is this so hard?

Dear Rachel and co-vocalisters,

maybe I am overlooking some female registration-issues, but why are you
singing it in that setting? I think it is too high to sing it in a
relaxed way for any voice except for a bird-like high soprano, and it is
for sure for a tenor like me. After all it is belcanto, which means it
has to sound easy, and which also means that people used to sing in
whatever setting that was convenient for them. I also think that this c
is not the problem, but the fact that you know you will be singing quite
high almost all the time.

I do have a setting starting with an a flat (in f minor, if I am right),
and that one really sounds great, not low at all. The lowest note will
be a c4 in your case, and the highest notes which have to float here in
my opinion (they are quite long), are f5 (f4 for me) and that should
work as well. By the way, not that I am a fan of his, but it is the same
setting Andrea Bocelli :( uses _ but of course without the kitchy things
he added, and with the da capo he more or less omitted.

If you wish I can email it to you, as jpg or tif. I scan all the music I
sing, to be able to print the music whenever I need an extra copy. But
honestly, that setting fits my voice very well, and if you really are a
Despina, your voice probably does not sound any higher (except for the
one octave gender difference) than mine.

Best greetings,

Dré

emusic.com