Vocalist.org archive

From:  BdwayDiva1@a...
BdwayDiva1@a...
Date:  Thu Jul 19, 2001  4:25 am
Subject:  Kathleen Battle- I'm dissappointed!!!

hi!
Kathleen Battle is one of my favorite singers, but was disturbed
when I read this article courtesy of America Online:

  Singer Upsets Fans With Performance
The Associated Press
Jul 18 2001 1:28PM
BREVARD, N.C. (AP) - Kathleen Battle performed a shortened
program this past weekend, earning her boos, not an encore.

The Grammy-winning opera singer started her performance at
the Brevard Music Center 30 minutes late and sang for just 35
minutes, completing part of her planned program Saturday night.
The sold-out performance ended with boos and jeers from the
audience, forcing the music center to consider an exception its
no-refund policy.

A disagreement earlier that day at the Heritage Antique Mall
apparently unnerved the 52-year-old singer, the music center
said in a statement Monday.

She decided to cut her program because the misunderstanding
happened so close to the time of the concert, the statement said.

Music center officials had modified their statement by Tuesday,
when they said, ``Although Miss Battle was indisposed ... she
nevertheless performed a modified program of spirituals that
evening.''

Center officials said that they are considering customer
complaints on a case-by-case basis. Tickets to the concert cost
between $25-45.

What a shame! She's an awesome singer! I guess she lives up
to her name- BATTLE.

Clarissa

emusic.com