Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Jul 17, 2001  10:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Bombing an audition...

Imthurn Melinda wrote:

> ... is what recently happened to me. How do any of
> you keep your chins up when something like this
> happens?

> I must say that I have had auditions in the past that
> have not been pretty, but I really did take the cake
> on this one. I am quite discouraged and, as I said,
> do not have the desire to sing or to face my teacher!
> It has been almost two weeks! Help!!!!

Melinda, thanks for writing. We all feel your pain.
Literally!

First, it may not have been as bad as you perceived it. Do
you feel like sharing with us what happened that
disappointed you? At the least, you'll get some similar
stories back that may make you start feeling a little
better.

I agree with Karen, talk to your teacher about it. When I
bombed one (reverted to 5-year-old singing habits I thought
I'd licked!) we talked through the situation and I
identified the source of my anxiety (because usually I'm not
anxious). I my case, the audition was for the experience, I
didn't really expect to get the gig, they were looking for
singers far better than I was at the time, and for some
reason that freaked me out, unexpectedly. So I learned
something about myself and now I choose my auditions more
carefully.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...