Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sat Jul 14, 2001  8:10 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: falsetto (was lower register)

Dear Taylor:

Your description of what Garcia calls "falsetto" as listed below is
the same description of this "falsetto" as found in the writings of
Cornelius Reed with whom, I believe, you did some study. Basically
it is a use of the voice in its middle range with minimal, if any,
medial closure of the vocal folds and a high air flow past the folds
to induce minimal oscillation. Of course the lower one attempts this
kind of phonation, the more likely it will resemble the sound of a
low flute because, basically, the tone is being produced by a
standing wave formation in the vocal tract that is not a result of
vocal fold oscillation at these lower pitches. At high airflow rates
with the cords relaxed as they would be for the low pitch but not in
oscillation, the airway creates a series of eddys that induces the
standing wave.

I have no problem with using this technique to induce a "slam" into
complete vocal fold oscillation from relatively inert vocal fold
function but I find it unnecessary in all but the most tense vocal
production corrections. I applaud you for the clarity of your
explanation of this technique. However it is not the same as my
suggestion of using the modern definition of falsetto (that high male
voice that resembles a female voice) and yodeling two octaves
downward into a complete chest voice as a measure designed to
encourage a more complete release of the vocal folds and the
resultant production of a more resonant low voice.

I am sure you will enjoy your work with Oren Brown as you have with
Ingo Titze and others. The Vocalogy course sounds like a good one.
Brown will show you his techniques for solving most vocal problems by
using the "modern" form of falsetto to reduce vocal tension and
maintain good "flow phonation". I will be interested in your
response to his work.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus

emusic.com