Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sat Jul 14, 2001  3:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: lower register

Dear Randy:

Thanks for the clarification. I basically agree. The medial
compression of which you speak I assume is applied by the same muscle
systems that are related to those which apply the longitudinal
tension unless, unbeknownst to me, there is a separate muscle system
that applies medial tension across vocal folds more directly.

However, I have difficulty with the idea that the yodel is caused
only, or even primarily, by the change from "something that has
compression (chest) to something that does not (falsetto)" The yodel
from falsetto into chest has been described in the literature as
being caused by the quick change from a lengthened vocal fold to a
greatly shortened fold which implies that the rapid change of muscle
mass has a primary causative effect. In addition to this, the
falsetto use I am suggestion is at least mezzo forte in volume with a
resultant substantial sub-glottal pressure and the chest voice which
appears does not have as strong a sense of sub-glottal pressure.

It would be most instructive to see this process via a fibre-optic
analysis. I have not seen any information which describes this
procedure visually.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus

taylor23f@h...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13169 Re: falsetto (was lower register) taylor23f@h...   Sat  7/14/2001   4 KB
13170 Re: falsetto (was lower register) Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  7/14/2001   7 KB

emusic.com