Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Date:  Sat Jul 14, 2001  1:16 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Young baritone needs wedding song

----Original Message-----
>From: Molly McLinden <verdirules@h...>
>Subject: [vocalist] Young baritone needs wedding song
>Date: Friday, July 13, 2001 7:06 PM
>
>My 19 year old baritone friend needs either a love song or "love aria"
>suitable for a wedding cominh up next month.
>I suggested "Bist du bei mir" but he wants something a bit easier- he
hasn't
>*really* sung since juries two months ago!

Molly,
as you already know - lieder is a beautiful medium for chamber, studio or
parlor programming. But, why would lieder be considered for - and I'm
guessing here - an American English wedding? Unless the wedding
program has a translation of the selection - I don't see how the celebrants
& congregation will appreciate the words being conveyed. Would it
be memorable enough to convey the message of sharing the commitment
of love? I guess there are many factors to consider that are missing from
the
original post.

Placing myself in the situation of the young baritone - I would be
gravitating
toward a love song from an American or English composer. Someone like
Cole Porter or Irving Berlin. Something like: "They say that falling in love

is wonderful" from Annie Get Your Gun. Or "All the things you are" from
Very Warm for May. Or look into a selection by George Gershwin? The
list really is voluminous & should be considered because the literature is
accessible, easy to learn, easy on the voice (with limitations) & everybody
will understand what's being sung.

Just a thought...fwiw.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13153 Re: Young baritone needs wedding song Trevor Allen   Sat  7/14/2001   2 KB
13158 Re: Young baritone needs wedding song John Link   Sat  7/14/2001   3 KB

emusic.com